On 5th March 2007 the Spoken Word’s Principal Investigator David Donald will travel to Brussels where he will attend a high level workshop based around the agenda of driving forward the establishment of a European e-Infrastructure for e-Science digital repositories along with other ‘professionals’ in the area of digital repositories.
The conference will revolve around various discussions of the following issues:
- What the major issues are behind the interoperability and widening of access to digital repositories across Europe.
- What are the tools that need to be encouraged in order to move infrastructures, techniques for metadata assignment, and storage management technologies forward?
- What are the key technological limitations inhibiting the growth of repositories?
- How can we reduce the domain-specific knowledge required to access and use these repositories in order to open them up to wider research?
- How can a sustainable technical framework be realised, preserved and maintained across Europe that will ensure continuing accessibility to repositories?
- How can European-level policy initiatives encourage growth and the overcoming of technological barriers?
The findings from the workshop discussions will be used in various EU-funded initiatives concerning repositories.